Tuesday, November 30, 2004

I worked on the sunflower sweater yesterday, and managed to finish the first sleeve. I think I like the way the stripes came out on the sleeves, though I hadn't originally planned them. It's different from my vision of the sweaters, but I think it's OK. Intarsia stripes are definitely easier and neater than intarsia pictures.

I don't think I mentioned it, but Emma got her first two molars on Thanksgiving Day. No wonder she had been so cranky and fussy last week! The two on the top are the ones that poked through, but I think the bottom two aren't far behind. Her gums are bulgy and seem sensitive. Poor girl. I think we'll all be thankful when teething is done.

I was talking about teething at playgroup today, and one of the other mothers (who is really nice and whom I would otherwise consider a rational, smart person) said "Just give her some whisky in her sippy cup, it really helped my son when he was teething."

WHAT? That is just so wrong. I mean, I know there's that old home remedy of rubbing whisky on an infant's gums to help teething pain, but I thought that EVERYONE now knows this is not a good idea. And that's just dipping your finger in the whisky and rubbing the gums. She was suggesting that I give Emma a shot of whisky to drink! Does she not know that that much alcohol can be very damaging if not fatal to a baby??? It made me want to scoop up her son (who is only about 5 months older than Emma) and run out of the room and hide him away forever.

Luckily, there was an enormous hubbub and outcry raised by her comment, and she did look distressed and confused, and said she had no idea this was bad, and that she wouldn't do it again. I just can't believe she thought this would be a good idea in the first place.

No comments: