Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Yesterday I spun one more bobbin of Ramb x Cormo singles, bringing the total to seven. Then I plyed them all. Most of them, anyway- I went until I didn't have three bobbins with singles left. Remarkably, they came out fairly even. One bobbin is still mostly full, and another has about 2 yards on it. That means that six bobbins of singles went into three skeins of 3-ply. Could it be that my spinning was consistent throughout all the bobbins of singles??!!! Wow. That's hasn't happened often.

I must say I'm thrilled with the resulting yarn. I haven't skeined it off the bobbins or washed it yet, but it is nice and round, the plying looks even, and it is so sproingy. Hopefully I won't have any unpleasant surprises when I wash it. It came out a worsted weight that will be great for a sweater. (Just an aside- I do hate that term to describe a yarn's thickness. "Worsted" is a spinning technique, which I did not use for this project, not a measure of thickness. Same goes for "2-ply," "3-ply," or "4-ply" to describe a yarn's weight.) As I was plying, the yarn reminded me of Brown Sheep NatureSpun Worsted. My yarn is springier and softer, but they're about the same thickness.

Tonight's plan- Skein the three finished bobbins, wash one of those skeins as a test (I want to wash most of the finished yarn all at once when they're all done, so it all gets the same treatment), then start spinning more singles.

No comments: