Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Tremendous exciting news! Look what I found at the Thrift Store today!!



This was another case of "No, I don't really need to go. I'll just go home. But there's probably something really good there, and if I don't stop, I'll miss it." So I stopped. And I got this Clemes and Clemes drumcarder for the staggering sum of $10.00! It had a lot of dirty fiber still in it, but it was pretty easy to clean. You can see the pile of old wool I stripped off it in the background. I can't believe how lucky I've been at the thrift store recently. First the alpaca fleeces in June, now this.

Here is my very first batt to come off my very own drumcarder. This is the Rambouillet x Cormo fleece.



This carder isn't ideal for the fine wools I like to work with, and it's a little small (the drums are only 4" wide), but it will do until I can afford the carder I really want. Yay me! Now I can get to work on those fleeces.

I've still been crocheting, and am working on a motif table runner, using this pattern for inspiration. I'm making a bunch of motifs, and will design some sort of filler motif to join them all together. I only have three so far, but will ultimately have 15, I think, in three rows of five. Each motif takes about an hour to make. I'm using #30 thread and a #12 hook, and each motif comes out about 4" in diameter after blocking.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Unbelievable. Who would have thought that on an island, you would have the BEST thrift store around? Great find!

Unknown said...

I can't believe it> You got a drum carder for ten dollatrs and it actually works? Shit! Thats all I can say. Shit. Biy I'm coming out there so you can yake me shopping. I thought my pen pal in Maine was lucky to get a whell for 25. Shit ten dollars.

Unknown said...

I walked into the family room and told my husband about your drum carder. Know what he said,SHit. I think he's a bit overwhelmed as he added a few zeros to your ten to get my carder. Good for you. Boy your lucky. The only equipment I've found outside a fiber store is a yarn swift in a junk store in up state New york. I think I paid ten and was really excited.

Charleen said...

What a find! Some people have all the luck. Have fun with it.

CrazyFiberLady said...

Holy! Nice find! My local thrift stores aren't worth stopping in most of the time. Guess I'll have to try again. Enjoy the new carder.

Anonymous said...

That settles it. You are the luckiest woman alive.

Unknown said...

They obviously didn't know a drum carder from a hole in the wall. It looks very nice too, as do your batts. Good for you...but I'm green with envy.

Bethieee said...

I am so jealous! Finding a drum carder used at all let alone for $10 is such a fabulous rarity. Enjoy it while you have it.