Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I wove off the rest of the too-long warp last night, resulting in just over five yards of fabric. I had to cut it off the loom and re-tie at one point, to even out some tension issues, but the shorter piece is just right for a runner.



Yes, I was standing on the coffee table to get the picture. The long length will be cut into several pieces, probably more placemats and possibly a runner. The variegated yarn works better as warp in long pieces than in short ones. You see the complete color progression, unlike in the placemats, where there's light on one end and dark on the other and it looks unbalanced. I may see if I can lightly overdye just the edges of the placemats, to even out the variegated yarn.

I also washed and dried the four placemats I showed yesterday, and they look much better now. The weave shrank up a bit and "interlocked". Here's a comparison of before and after:

1 comment:

Liz said...

They're so great! Weaving is one of those things that's on my "list" to try someday...I'm amazed that you can whip up placemats and a runner in just a couple of days. Are you sure you're human? ;)