Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I’ve been caught in a snowstorm since last week! No, not the cold kind. The FIBERY kind! I’ve been crocheting furiously to make all the snowflakes I need for the mobiles.



I’ve had many of these done since last winter, but everything in the four columns on the left was made since last Thursday. The biggest ones take nearly two hours to make and are 6-8” across. All are made from #30 crochet cotton and a #12 hook.

Three mobiles for an art gallery:





After finally talking to the woman who called last week, instead of just leaving each other phone messages, it turns out that she actually wants the mobiles to decorate her art gallery for an opening they are having the day after Thanksgiving. Her business partner/ boss/person-who-handles-the-money (I’m not really clear what the chain of command is in the store) vetoed the idea of buying the mobiles outright, because they won’t need them after this show is over, but he did say that if I would let them use the mobiles to decorate the gallery during the show, they would let people know they are for sale and give them my card so I can sell direct. This isn’t exactly the outright sale I was expecting when I got the initial phone messages, but I’ve already sold one mobile, and the show doesn’t even open until Friday! So I get free gallery space and potential buyers, and they get free decorations that fit right in with their show- the title is “First Snowfall.” So while I’m not technically “In The Gallery,” I am in the gallery!

I’m really very excited about this whole thing, because Arctic Raven Gallery is one of the most upscale shops in Friday Harbor. It showcases the traditional art of Pacific Northwest and Alaskan Native Americans. They have beautiful (and pricey) pieces of art, beautifully displayed, and a large client base. They have one basket on display that is absolutely stunning, though unfortunately it's not on their website. It’s a lidded, watertight, coiled grass basket that has patterns on it made by using different naturally colored grasses. It measures about 2” in diameter. The price? $1500. (!)

I still have to make a fourth mobile, since I already made a sale and the gallery still wants three for the show. That doesn’t have to be done until next Monday. I also need to make several individual flakes for the gallery and get them done before Friday morning.

So, take a deep breath and dive back into the snow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How pretty!!!! I just love when you make snowflakes, they make me happy just looking at them. I bought a little pattern to learn how to make some but, alas, I never got started.

Liz said...

Congratulations for making it "in the gallery"!