Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Blogger's (Silent) Poetry Reading

JABBERWOCKY
Lewis Carroll

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


Poetry reading instigated by Grace's Poppies.

Delightful nonsense that I've always loved, and which definitely deserves purple ink.

In other news, I will say "Callooh! Callay!" myself, because Shaun has been offered a faculty position at Eastern Oregon University! He went for this interview a week and a half ago, and was offered the job Saturday. Very quick!

He had another interview this Tuesday, at Dickinson College, which he is very excited about, and we are hoping that he is offered that job as well. If Dickinson offers, I think that's the one he'll take, but he really liked Eastern Oregon and says he would be happy there too. We won't hear from Dickinson for at least a week and a half, so we're just waiting anxiously at this point.

It's a huge relief to know that there is a backup plan, even if his first choice (Dickinson) doesn't pan out. Maybe we can actually get those student loans and credit cards paid off within our lifetimes.

We're off to Eastern Oregon this weekend, so Emma and I can see the campus and surrounding area. Should be fun, and one of the professors wants to go birding with me, so maybe I'll see some new birds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow-- possibility of heading back eastward! I'm crossing my fingers for you guys and hoping that wherever you end up, all will be well.