Tuesday, February 14, 2006

That didn't take long. Look what I found in the aquarium yesterday.



The arrows are pointing to two of the four egg masses recently deposited by my hitch-hiker snails. The eggs on the right are a bit farther along than the ones on the left, probably 12-24 hours older. It's no wonder these little buggers can be such a problem in aquaria. I checked the plants pretty thoroughly when I brought them home, and didn't see any adults or egg masses in the pots or on the roots/leaves. So the adult snails that are in there now were either well-concealed eggs or itty-bitties when they entered my tank.

I got the first set of plants on Jan 15, before the guppies, and the second set on Jan 21, with the glowlight tetras. So it's conceivable that the snails went from hatching to reproducing in 28-29 days, maybe less if they came in on the second set of plants.

No comments: