Monday, April 03, 2006

Emma and I went on a nature walk on Sunday, to my favorite place on the island- Jakle's Lagoon.



This is part of the San Juan National Historic Park, and is at the southern tip of the island near where we used to rent a house. When we lived down there I used to hike it about once a week (until Emma arrived, anyway), more during the wildflower season. I haven't been there as much since we moved closer to town, but Sunday was a gorgeous overcast/sunny day, so Emma and I packed up and went for a picnic lunch and hike while Shaun was at work.

There are three main trails: along the beach, through the forest, and over the top of Mt. Finlayson (elevation 285 ft). This time, we hiked out via the beach and back through the forest, which makes a nice three mile loop, evenly divided between beach and forest. (And when I say "we" hiked, I mostly mean "I" since Emma was in the backpack for the whole beach part of the hike. At a weight of 32 pounds, I think she's about done with the backpack...)

It was such a great day. It took us about three hours round trip, including the lunch stop. The wildflowers aren't in full swing yet, but we did see some, including the whole reason I wanted to go on the hike in the first place- the Calypso orchids are blooming!


Calypso bulbosa var. occidentalis



Each plant produces only one leaf and one flower, and depends on undisturbed, moist, old forests with the proper soil fungi. There's quite a large population at Jakle's Lagoon, and I feel lucky to be able to go appreciate them. Though not protected as rare, they are very sensitive. Picking the flower usually kills the plant.

In addition to the Calypsos, we also saw the other three orchid species that I've found at Jakle's Lagoon, though none were blooming yet.


Spotted Coral Root (Corallorhiza maculata)


Western Rattlesnake Plantain (Goodyera oblongifolia)

We also saw Heart-leaf Twayblade (Listera cordata var. nephrophylla), but I didn't get a picture. These were in bud, and I'm going back next weekend for photos.

Emma had a good time in the woods, looking at the trees and sticks and plants and rocks and birds.



The fallen logs covered with moss were very interesting, and she kept pointing out "one, two, diff'ent kind moss" to me every time she came across something like this



that had more than one kind of moss on it. What a naturalist!

Emma walked almost the whole mile and a half through the woods, and when we got back to the car she was out like a light. She didn't even wake up when I transferred her from the car to her bed when we got home.

1 comment:

PJ said...

I felt like I took the walk with you! WOW what a workout though for you! Gorgeous path, sea, logs, plants, flowers...thank you for sharing this with me :)...I could just imagine the bird sounds, too!