Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just been traveling again. Shaun finished up his teaching for the quarter last week, and the next day we went up to Friday Harbor to pack up the last bit of stuff from Shaun's lab and woodshop to take to La Grande. And I finally have my plants again! (But sadly, the three phalaenopsis orchids didn't survive the plantsitter.) Nothing like moving in dribs and drabs over the course of four months.....

I've made tremendous progress on the urchin shawl, though it's still not very photogenic. That's probably another reason I haven't been posting much. Singlemindedly working on one large project that doesn't change much day to day doesn't make for very interesting blog posts. I'm now 7/10 of the way around the edging, and only have 24 repeats left!! I've been trying to do two repeats per day, but haven't been able to keep up with that goal very well since we've been here in Friday Harbor.

Emma and I went to the Textile Guild's holiday party last Saturday (we didn't plan the trip around this, but it was good timing nonetheless!) and it was so great to see everyone again. I think my fiber friends are what I miss the most about Friday Harbor. We had the usual White Elephant gift exchange and lookie what I got:



I'm not quite sure how I ended up with this instead of the tacky little knickknacks most of the other people got. I'm working through it cover to cover, and it's stuffed with good information. It reads a lot like a textbook, but is written with Alden Amos' quirky style so it's not too terribly dry.

Emma and I went hiking at Jakle's Lagoon today, which as you may remember, is my favorite walk on the island. It was cloudy/sunny, breezy, and chilly. We had a little picnic on the beach (a very NARROW beach because the tide was so high) and looked at birds. We walked about two miles, all told, and Emma spent most of it running, so I'm hoping for an early and fuss-less bedtime tonight.



We came across this log during our walk that was covered with Witches Butter fungus (Tremella mesenterica). Very pretty.

2 comments:

Charleen said...

The fungus is very cool. I wonder how it would do as a dye. I just beamed on the warp for the placemats that you made. Have you had time to work on the huck stoles?

Charleen

Leigh said...

Sounds like you're making excellent progress on the shawl. Congrats on the book! What a great white elephant. I've always wanted to take a look at it.