Friday, December 29, 2006

Urchin, Part 3

Is it possible that I love the Urchin Shawl more today than the first time I looked at it completely pinned out and blocking? I think so.



We finally got out to take some pictures of the Urchin "in the wild" today. Please excuse the dorky expression- it was very sunny. This was the first time I'd really worn the shawl, and I love the way it fits. That sounds like a silly thing to say about a shawl, where "fit" is not something that's usually considered, but it really does fit me perfectly. It snuggles around my shoulders, is just the right length, and the half-circle shape after it's folded puts enough fabric in the front and sides to keep it from sliding backwards like a triangular shawl can.

(What, you don't wear jeans and hiking boots with floaty lace shawls?)



I folded it not quite in half, so that both layers of the edging are visible when it's worn. The fabric is so very light that I had a hard time keeping it still enough to get the picture; it wanted to shiver and float on the breeze.



Blocking this was a transformation, not just with the pattern but also the yarn itself. It now displays a sheen, luster, drape, and silkiness that just wasn't apparent before when it was a matte lace blob.



Have I mentioned that I love this project?

6 comments:

Jackie said...

You are so justified in loving that project. It makes my trials with a sock seem very trivial indeed.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been having the same e-mail problem and have actually written for help. Here's hoping that the powers that be can help.

Unknown said...

It's lovely! Enjoy your work.

Anonymous said...

wow, sue, this is really magnificent! -sage

gtr said...

Yay! Lovely... congrats on finishing (and enjoying) such an epic project! I think jeans and hiking boots are definitely the way to go... sets it off nicely!

beadlizard said...

An inspiration! It looks beautiful on you. --Syl

cyndy said...

It's brilliant- absolutely striking in the natural light!