Friday, January 05, 2007

Fiber work has been sporadic the past week or so. After I finished the Urchin Shawl I needed a little break, and just sort of drifted around.

I finally finished sleying the reed for the huck lace stoles yesterday. I started this before we went to Friday Harbor before Christmas, then it just sat there with a partially sleyed reed. Every time I walked past the loom room for the past week the loom yelled at me, so I finally got back to it.



It was actually a really fun way to spend an hour, because Emma sat on the futon in the room and told me stories the whole time. She told me Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs, Dr. Seuss' Gertrude McFuzz, and Blueberries for Sal before branching out into her own original stories. These included assorted Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go adventures, how Santa delivers presents, what her first day of kindergarten will be like, and other stories that came out of her own imagination. Several of these involved Cinderella marrying Emma's stuffed animals or our cat, after rescuing baby animals in trouble. I wish I had recorded this hour, because it was hilarious. I was really impressed with her memory. Gertrude McFuzz, in particular, was nearly word for word.

I have also started a pair of mittens for myself, out of the green yarn I spun in November 2005.



I really like this yarn. It's three-ply, soft and bouncy, and is remarkably similar to Brown Sheep Naturespun worsted.



It's also fairly consistent, and knits up to a nice dense fabric with US 3 needles. If I were making a sweater (oh how I wish could, with gorgeous cabling, but I only have a pound of yarn) I would use slightly larger needles, but the 3s are good for mittens.

I also did some more dyeing a couple days ago, but it's not dry yet, so I'll post that tomorrow.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

That is beautifully spun yarn!!

Charleen said...

Beautiful green yarn! Don't you just love the way a three-ply looks and knits? Well worth the time it takes.

I'm looking forward to the huck updates.

rustyconc said...

Hi Sue! Happy New Year. It looks like you have a contrast waste yarn to start the mittens. I was wondering why?

Cheers,
Christina