Friday, April 06, 2007

A couple months ago, I received this lovely roving from Liz. She dyed it herself, and kindly sent it to me when I was the winning contributor to her blog poll for which sweater design she should use as inspiration for her first handspun handknit sweater.



Isn't it pretty? It looks so springy and fresh. I was somewhat at a loss for something to do last night, having finished the Amethyst and Sapphire spinning, so I pulled this out.



It's spinning up lovely. It's merino top, about 2 oz, and is beautifully easy to draft. I split the top into fourths, lengthwise, and predrafted each before spinning. This is half. I'm doing it fairly fine, laceweight-ish but not definitely not froghair.

There isn't a repeating stripe sequence in the roving, and the colors are all blues, purples, and greens, so I'm going to spin all the singles onto one bobbin, wind a centerpull ball, and ply from both ends. The colors all harmonize well together and should make a great marled yarn without turning muddy.

I feel a flowery shawl design percolating in the depths of my mind.....

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Yup. Very pretty. Definite flowery shawl vibes.

Anonymous said...

Looks great so far. I really should do some spinning (maybe the other half of that roving!). I'm looking forward to seeing how it plies.