Wednesday, May 23, 2007

With all the excitement over the panda cory babies around here lately, the grownups have been feeling left out. Well, obviously not too left out, since they keep making eggs....

Anyway, here's a shot of one of the males. He finally sat still enough to get a good picture. These little guys move fast, and hardly ever stop!


Corydoras panda

Aren't they just the cutest? They're so fun to watch. I'd love to get a bigger tank so I could have a large school of them.

I have three right now (one female/two males), which is the minimum size group they should be kept in. They are sociable little critters, and like the company of their own species. When they are in larger groups, they are hilarious. I love watching even my little group trundling around all together, sifting through the gravel, checking out what their buddies are looking at (though they seem to use their barbels more than their eyes), making sure nothing is overlooked. So fun.

I've been researching them online, and have compiled a wishlist of cories to have someday. Corydoras sterbai, Corydoras trilineatus, Corydoras axelrodi, and Corydoras duplicareus are pretty commonly available..... Don't know if it'll ever happen, certainly no time soon, but it's fun to plan dream tanks.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

I had plain old goldfish when I was a teenager. I loved to watch them zoom and dart and sometimes just quietly swim. There is something so relaxing about fish watching. Keep dreaming of your large tank!

How is Kiri coming?

Leigh said...

Oooo. Everytime I read your blog lately I am tempted to get another aquarium. I never had more than 1 or 2 corys at a time so now you've got me curious. But alas, I'll just have to enjoy yours.

Cathy said...

I need to get another cory or 2 to keep my single company. His bud met a tragic fate. Now my cory hangs out with the plecos.

CrazyFiberLady said...

There's something so relaxing to fish. I used to stare for hours (ignoring the nearby tv) at the tank that was in my room. Hmm, maybe I need a new one!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the pix of an adult...he/she has beautiful marking! I don't think I've seen one before. I love watching fish. The Boston Aquarium is one of my favorite places.