Saturday, January 26, 2008

So, finally, here's the spinning I did last week. This was a bundle of fiber my sister sent me for Christmas, from her local farmshare in Philadelphia.



The wool is a rare breed, Tunis, from Lindenhof Farm. A little google digging revealed that this farm is in Kirkwood, PA, 60 miles west of Philly, and the fiber was processed at Ohio Valley Natural Fibers.

8.2 oz.
425 yards
3-ply
10-12 wpi

It was nice fiber, though not the softest, and the preparation was somewhat neppy. It also had quite a bit of VM, though mostly not-too-pokey grass. I was inordinately entertained by watching the little bits of grass fly out as I spun. I really enjoyed spinning this, and am envisioning it as the yoke of a sweater. The three-ply came out bouncy and just right for a cozy warm outer garment.

And here's what I did last night:



Yes, another pair. Same materials and needles as all the rest of the pairs I have made. The yarn came out a nice marbled purple. I made these in response to a request from a potential Etsy customer, but I haven't heard back from her so I just put them up in my shop, and as far as I'm concerned they're fair game if anyone wants them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huzzah! nice to see this spun. i did wonder whether it would be too scratchy, once i saw it. (bought sight unseen, as with all the farmshare goodies.)

nice mits!