Saturday, August 02, 2008

Just a wee bit grumpy, here. I ordered a skein winder on July 22, (using some of the proceeds from my Etsy yarn sales!), and have been impatiently awaiting its arrival. I knew that it would take a bit more than a week, since there weren't any of the model I ordered in stock, and the website said to expect about a week for production. That was fine. I have absolutely no problem with that.

On July 29, I got an email notification from DHL that the package was in their system. Goody goody goody! My winder is on its way! They picked it up on Wednesday, July 30. Yay! It's coming from Colorado Springs, which is really not that far away. Fifteen hours or so.

I've been tracking it online since then, and this morning's update caused my mild grumpiness. The package went from Colorado Springs, CO, to Aurora, CO, to Salt Lake City, UT, by Thursday night. Good, good, getting closer. Salt Lake City is about 7-8 highway hours from me, so maybe I'll get the winder on Friday!

But no. It didn't show up on my doorstep yesterday, and there were no updates on the website all day. I checked the website again just now, and yesterday my package left the regional hub in Salt Lake City at 3:06am, and arrived at 10:49pm at the regional hub in CHEHALIS, WASHINGTON! Huh?

Now I realize that going from regional hub to regional hub is standard procedure, but the fastest way to get from SLC to Chehalis (just south of Olympia) is to take I-84. Which goes RIGHT THROUGH La Grande!

I don't know if my package is going by truck or train (does DHL do train?), but eight hours out of Salt Lake City would have put a truck in La Grande at about 11:00am. And, as it happened, I was out doing a work errand at 10:40. I had to go on the overpass over I-84, and as I did, three big DHL truck trailers went under me on I-84. Perhaps I should have waved?

I wonder if my winder will get here by Monday, or if it has to go to Chicago first...

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I once tracked some yarn coming from South America. All was well until it landed in Ireland, I was waiting for it to land here next but its next step was to hop over to Germany.