Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Another update on what I've been up to:



That's a lovely natural gray Corriedale fleece, that I somehow purchased from last month from Sheepeez on Etsy. I saw this fleece while browsing one day, loved it, but talked myself out of buying it because money's tight. A couple weeks later, after I had sold a skein or two of yarn, I saw that it was still listed. Well, that has to be a sign, right?



It's from a 100% Corriedale sheep named Buttercup, in gorgeous shades of gray from light to dark. Buttercup is a girl but the fleece was a bit... shall we say...fragrant. It was mandatory that I wash it right away. I like the way raw fleece smells, but I suspect the less-obsessed members of my household don't hold the same appreciation I do.

It's all good now, though. It washed up odor-free, lovely and soft.



The raw fleece weighed 5.5 pounds, and after washing it weighs 3 pounds. The staple is about 4 inches, and it has a gentle crimp. It's soft, but sort of a durable soft.



I'm thinking there's a sweater in that pile of wool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! So pretty! Are you going to process it yourself?

cyndy said...

That will surely be a joy to spin!
(and the sweater will be lovely to wear!)

CrazyFiberLady said...

oooooh very pretty! The less wool crazy folks in my house don't appreciate the fragrant fleece either. You remind me that I have a fresh fleece awaiting a bath too! Thanks :)