Monday, September 01, 2008

Here's the first installment of "What's Sue Been Up To Recently?" These updates will be presented working off a random timeline, as first up is my most recent project.

I ordered a bundle of merino top from Zaruela's Fibers (we must support our fellow Etsians, after all) a couple weeks ago. This is the Strawberry Rhubarb colorway.



That's about a half-ounce in that coil, all that I have left that's unspun. I split the top into quarters lengthwise (along the natural divisions of the top). A full ounce of it has already been turned into this:



And the rest is on the bobbin:



This is a beautiful dark pink, very subtly variegated, and super easy to spin. The top isn't matted at all from the dyeing, and it's turning into a nice even ~90 wpi singles.

The top was mottled, not striped, but because I'm spinning this very fine, I'm getting long stretches of color. When it's plied it will be marled, and should give gentle tonal shifts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about the passing of your frined.

CrazyFiberLady said...

Jessica does some lovely work dyeing. I was very impressed by how the fiber was not marred by the dyeing process. I think I have some of that Strawberry Rhubarb in my stash. I'm fortunate, she lives across town from me ;)

Hannah said...

The spinning is stunning! What a lovely color.