Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just to be perfectly clear, I was not complaining about my job yesterday. I am exceedingly grateful that I have a job. I was only complaining that I spent all weekend sick, and couldn't go out to play when I finally felt better.

Because, you know, the snow is so pretty.



That's the front yard of our new house, with a lilac bush and a little stream on the left. There's plenty of room for snow angels.



There's an alley way in the back, with a birdfeeder next to the bushes that are always chock full of sparrows and juncos.



(The birdfeeder has been de-snowed since I took the picture!) The back yard has a thicket of plum trees bordering the stream.



Did I tell the story of finding this house? Well those plum trees in that picture are the plum trees from this post. Remember all that plum jam? When Emma and I showed up at the address from the Freecycle ad to pick free plums, we found out that we actually knew the people who placed the ad. They're the managers of the GROWISER preserve, where Emma and I have had several beautiful walks over the past couple years. Turns out they also own the house where the plums are, and were looking for renters. We hadn't been looking for a new place, but when the opportunity presented itself, we took it. The new house is slightly cheaper, slightly bigger, and just a nice-feeling place. More light and a better floorplan. We like it, and we also love that our rent is put toward maintaing and improving a native plant and wildflower preserve, rather than going to a money-grubbing faceless landlord and the rental management company that wouldn't even fix broken screens or clean the chimney before we moved in.

I never would have guessed, when I went for a walk to look at flowers or saw an ad for free fruit, that it would help me find a better place to live. It was a series of threads that came together just right. Serendipity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful when things work out like that?!?! I covet your snow!