Monday, December 22, 2008

My sister and Emma and I had lots of fun concocting various baked goods this afternoon. We started with Hershey's Kiss cookies (Note that the instructions at that link don't tell you when to add the milk. We added it with the rest of the wet ingredients):



They are as good as we remember. Then I tried a new recipe, loosely based on this Spicy Molasses Cookies recipe. It's a keeper.



We modified the recipe a bit: used honey instead of molasses (because I don't like molasses and didn't have any anyway), only used 1/2 cup of shortening, and subbed a heaping teaspoon of fresh grated ginger for the dried powdered ginger. Yum. The flavor of fresh ginger is so much better than dried. It's more floral and less bitter.



I also made Julekage (Scandinavian Christmas bread) for Christmas morning, and my sister made carnitas for dinner. The carnitas were yummy, but when you're five nothing holds a candle to COOKIES FOR DESSERT!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With both hands!

Those cookies look yummy. Happy holidays to you and your family!

PJ said...

yum yum! I just made some of those on Saturday!!!

Caroline M said...

I have baking planned for tomorrow, jam tarts, lemon curd tarts and mince pies. I'm planning on using as much child labour as possible and then I'm washing the floor.

Cathy said...

What a perfect photo of E!!! Wouldn't that be a treat on a Christmas card?

Oh wait, I just got one!!


:-))