Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Yummy bean soup and biscuits were on the menu tonight. I took a 1-lb package of dried beans (16-bean mix), a smoked ham bone, a bay leaf, half an onion (chopped), a carrot (chopped), garlic, and 8 cups of water and cooked them all over very low heat for four hours. At the very end, I mashed some of the beans to thicken the broth, and pulled the bits of ham meat off the bone. Easy peasy, and the result was a hearty soup that costs almost nothing. Paired with scratch-made biscuits fresh out of the oven and it was a very satisfying meal. (Adding a salad would have been even better, but I ran out of energy.)



Beans are so pretty.

1 comment:

cyndy said...

Lovely, and very festive looking!

The first few years that my husband and I were together, the inlaws would always put a pouch of beans for "15 bean soup" in our stockings. I remember the recipe I used. It was a lot like yours, only it had 32oz of crushed tomatoes added to the base. I also remember soaking my beans overnight...(and adding some baking soda at some point helped with certain, ahem, side effects, of the beans)

BTW the turkey soup tips you gave me turned out to be delicious!

Happy holiday to you and yours!