Sunday, May 17, 2009

Emma and I went on a nature walk today, up to the Spring Creek area of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. It was hot (85deg F), but we had so much fun. The wildflowers are blooming, the birds are back, the butterflies are out, and you can't beat the views...



There were swarms of Western Pine Elfins (Callophrys erephon), which are possibly my favorite early spring butterfly. They're so amazingly intricately patterned. Then again, I say that about almost every species. They're all my favorites.



The Larkspurs are in full bloom up there right now, tinting the hillsides purply-blue:



There were a good number of Silvery Blues (Glaucopsyche lygdamus) fluttering around. These are possibly my favorite early spring butterfl... Oh wait, we already discussed this.



This one was working a mud puddle. I think it's a female, because of the gray-brown tinge to the upper surface of the wings. The males are brilliantly blue on top. Don't you wish you had black and white striped antennae?



At this point in our walk, we sat down on the side of the path and had a rest and a drink. Emma was watching the chickadees in the pines across the path, but I was distracted by watching her.



Oh, those freckles, those eyes, those almost-dimples. Can you stand it? I actually got all chokey, right there on our nature walk.

3 comments:

cyndy said...

Beautiful!

All of it!

(...and a moment to be cherished.)

...love the b&w striped antennae!

PJ said...

What special times...I love your walks... then they turn 17 and I just wonder where all the time went!! I still can't get over it! I mean seventeen...aren't I still 25?

PJ said...

What a great picture of the both of you...I just posted one of my daughter and I. They grow up waaaay too fast. Love all the various nature pictures and views! What a treat- a green tailed tohee!!