Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Why is it that almost every day, I look at a clock at exactly 12:34, 2:34, or 11:11?  I can go for hours without checking the time, and have no idea what time it is.  Then when I do check the clock, it's one of those "fancy" times. It doesn't matter if it's a.m. or p.m. (although I seem to see 2:34 a.m. more than 2:34 p.m., thank you so much, insomnia), and it's never one of the other consecutive-number times like 4:56.  I see either 12:34, 2:34, or 11:11 on a digital clock nearly every day.  Today, just now, I looked at my computer clock and it was 12:34.

This happens way more often than random chance would seem to indicate.  Why exactly 12:34?  Why don't I happen to look when it's 12:33?  Why 11:11 instead of 11:12?  What is it about 2:34 draws me to check the time?  It seems like if this were just an subconscious awareness that "that time" is approaching, I wouldn't hit it so exactly.

One of life's little mysteries, or a devious plot to defy statistics?  Am I a focus for some kind of energy paths that govern probability?  Should I be worried, or am I in the early stages in developing superpowers?

2 comments:

May_K said...

I have exactly the same "problem" (though the problem we have is very harmless)! I look at the clock at 12:12, 13:13, 14:14... and so on. This happens more than 5 times a day with an average checking frequency of 7 times/day. First, I tried to explain this by the idea that I might be checking the time every 61 minutes... but than there must be a change of periodicity between 23:23 and 00:00... So I still don't have any explanation...

aknitter said...

I vote for superpower..... harness that wonderful energy!!!