Friday, December 16, 2011

Today I had a startling realization.  When this realization hit, at about 1:00 this afternoon while I was at work wrestling with a boring document I'm trying to write, I had to stop for a moment and think about whether it was really, really true.

Christmas is nine days away.

How did this happen?  How did I miss this, despite having an excited 8-year-old in the house and getting a Christmas tree last weekend, and spending the past three weeks refinishing a spinning wheel for that 8-year-old's CHRISTMAS PRESENT?

My dad is arriving in five days. I haven't cleaned the house sufficiently to have a house guest.  I haven't wrapped any presents.  I haven't even gotten the stocking stuffers or anything for my dad or the cats (of course I get a present for the cats!).  And while I do have presents for my sister, brother-in-law, and niece, the fact that I just realized today that there are only NINE DAYS until Christmas means that their package probably won't arrive in time.  Sigh.  And I was feeling so on top of things and organized when I planned ahead and got their presents all pulled together in October.  Sorry, sis.

It seems like we just had Thanksgiving.  Heck, it seems like we just had Fourth of July.  Why is it the middle of December already?

This year has been so disjointed.  I feel like I've lost entire months while I've been wandering around in a dreary grey fog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ain't no thing. We are less prepared than you truth be told. Sigh. Aiming aiming to get Stuff shipped this weekend.

aknitter said...

I really believe the world is spinning faster these days.... Hang in there, you will have a lovely holiday. 8-year-olds make it so!