Monday, March 19, 2012

You know what ticks me off?  Those commercials for automatic soap dispensers.  I'm not talking about the ones in public restrooms- I have no problems with those, since I don't want to touch anything in a public restroom at all. I'm talking about the ones targeted to go in your own bathroom or kitchen at home.


And actually, it's not so much the product that I have a problem with, it's the marketing.

Every time I hear the commercials that extoll this soap dispenser, exclaiming with relief that if only you buy this product your precious children will never have to touch another germy soap dispenser again, I just have to shake my head.

Think about it, advertising folks. You touch the dangerously toxic and flu-laden soap dispenser pump, or even (gasp!) a completely low-tech bar of soap.  So what?  You then proceed to WASH YOUR HANDS.  With SOAP.

Batteries or a plug to get some soap after you pee.  They think we're all idiots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(P.S.  Feel free to use this rant for the random gadgety product commercial of your choice.  Especially the ones featuring melodramatic portrayals of completely incompetent people who can't chop a carrot.)

(P.P.S.  Yes, I know that bacteria can live inside a refillable soap dispenser, and can cause serious health problems.  This product tries to scare people about just touching the pump, and doesn't address the bacteria inside the reservoir at all.)

(P.P.P.S.  Apparently this is what I obsess about when I haven't had enough sleep.  Sorry.)

(P.P.P.P.S.  Fourteen days until my Schacht-Reeves wheel ships!)

1 comment:

aknitter said...

You make me laugh... there is one of these at my Dad's apartment that, every time I wash my hands, my arm activates the dispenser and it spews soap all over my sleeve. VERY annoying.