Sunday, November 01, 2015

Aerangis punctata blooming!

I'm so excited- I have another orchid blooming!

Aerangis punctata

This is Aerangis punctata, which is originally native to Madagascar although mine was propagated in a lab.  I got this plant last fall, and it came to me with the stump of one spike where it had bloomed previously.  They only bloom once per year so this is the first time it's bloomed for me (and with two flowers!), and it also grew one new leaf this year. It must be happy.

Aerangis punctata

It's a delightful miniature species- the plant itself is only 2" across, and the flowers are just over an inch across, with a 4" long nectary.

Aerangis punctata

Along with Aerangis mystacidii, this is one of my favorite houseplant-orchids.  I just love the way it looks, whether it's blooming or not.

And speaking of my Aerangis mystacidii, it bloomed with FOUR flowering spikes this year! A total of 51 flowers!  (Last year it only had one spike.) But alas, I didn't take any pictures.  I've been so busy with work this fall that I didn't even realize it was blooming until it was almost done.  Waaah! I missed it!  Ah well.  Next year.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Very good work on growing and blooming this.

Thanks, too, for your visit to my blog.

Have a great day.