Sunday, May 22, 2016

Blooming orchids

In addition to the amaryllis, I also have a couple orchids in bloom right now.  This first one is a plant that I've had since 2008, called Phalaenopsis Golden Light.  I still find this name hilarious, because there's nothing gold about it.  The flowers are a deep, rich, mulberry red; very waxy and substantial.  Beautiful.

Phalaenopsis Golden Light

I got this next plant for myself for Valentine's Day this year, and it's still blooming away.  It's called Phal. Sogo Twinkle Golden. It's lightly fragrant, which is a nice bonus.

Phalaenopsis Sogo Twinkle Golden

The next plant is from the Portland orchid show in April.  It came in bud, and the flower finally opened this week.  This is Paphiopedilum Oriental Spring.

Paphiopedilum Oriental Spring

I really like the green and white paphs; they look so elegant.  This one is very pleasingly shaped and striped.  The pretty mottled foliage is a nice bonus for when the plant isn't in bloom.

Paphiopedilum Oriental Spring

Next up is the Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' that I also got at the Portland orchid show.  It was in bud and bloom when I got it, and is still going strong.  This is quite a large plant, and will get larger.  I knew this when I bought it, and I'm not sure what I was thinking.  I don't really have room for it, but I expect I'll manage.  I've wanted one of these for years.

Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance'

Each individual flower is about an inch and a half high, and beautifully ruffled. All three spikes are blooming now, and it smells heavenly.  It smells like chocolate!

Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance'

Lastly, here's a teaser for one that's not open yet. This is the Haraella retrocalla that's in my glass globe terrarium.  It's doing fantastically well, and has sent roots all the way down past the end of its stick, through the sphagnum, and into the expanded clay pellet substrate.  It's very happy.

Haraella retrocalla in bud!

No comments: