Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Pink cacti

I have these two pretties blooming right now.  This first one is exciting because I got this cactus last summer and this is its first blooming for me.

This is Mammillaria huitzilopochtli, a species native to southern Mexico.

Mammillaria huitzilopochtli

There is a complete ring of buds around the plant, but only about a third of them are open at the moment.

Mammillaria huitzilopochtli

I love the little flat starburst spines. I'm quite pleased that this plant is happy.  It's so pretty!

Mammillaria huitzilopochtli

I also have my first Thanksgiving cactus flowers of the year opening.

NOID pink Thanksgiving cactus

This is a plant that I started from a piece off the floor at a store (can't remember which, maybe Walmart or Home Depot).  It rooted and grew well, but then languished for several years, ignored in old soil and a too-small pot.  I repotted it this summer and it took off with new growth, and now several stems have two or three flowers each.

NOID pink Thanksgiving cactus

No comments: