Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Double Record, not double

Amaryllis number nine for the year is called Double Record, but it's not living up to its name.  As you can see, there is only one layer of petals (though technically it's one layer of petals and one layer of sepals).

Amaryllis Double Record

Double Record is a semi-double variety, which means it doesn't have as many layers of petals as a fully double variety.  I knew it was a semi-double when I bought it, but I didn't know that apparently this particular variety is known for losing its "double-ness" and only showing one layer with sometimes a few wimpy extra petals in the center.  This can be seen on the second flower to open on this scape.

Amaryllis Double Record

While it's somewhat disappointing that my bulb doesn't show the big floofy flower I thought I was getting, it's still really pretty and I love the raspberry stippling along the edges.

No comments: