Saturday, February 25, 2017

Stripes and stripes

Today I have amaryllis numbers eleven and twelve, both with stripes.

This is Ruby Star, a sumptuous rich cranberry red with a green throat.  I took this picture a couple days ago when the first flower opened, but now it has two scapes completely open at once, each with five flowers!  A little crowded, but very pretty.

Amaryllis Ruby Star

And this one just opened today, Moon Scene.  I had completely forgotten what this one was supposed to look like since I ordered it last fall, so it was a nice surprise.  Not the showiest, and I don't think this is one of my all-time favorite amaryllis.  It's still pretty, but kind of...meh.  We'll see how I feel as it continues to open.

Amaryllis Moon Scene

What I would like you to notice about that second picture, please, is that it is taken OUTSIDE!  And there is NO SNOW in my front yard!  This is huge!  I actually had the front door and all the windows open for almost two hours this afternoon, to let a fresh breeze blow through the house.

Never mind that it wasn't much above 45 degrees, it felt like spring.  And never mind that it's now back below freezing, and we're back under a winter storm warning and supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow over the next two days.  For two hours this afternoon my house was open, and it was delightful, and I have violas starting to bloom.

It's entirely possible that spring is actually coming.

viola bloom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh, that Ruby Star is beautiful! I love the rich red color...

--Jean Marie