Thursday, May 11, 2017

Repeat bloomers are so satisfying

This beauty opened yesterday, Parodia werneri (formerly Notocactus uebelmannianus), which is native to southern Brazil.

This is the little cactus that I got last April on my way back from the Portland orchid show. (Speaking of which, I went again this year and had great fun!  Emma and I made a weekend of it.  I'll have to post on that soon.)

Parodia werneri (formerly Notocactus uebelmannianus)

This little cactus is so pretty.  It's a fairly slow growing species so it hasn't gotten much bigger since last year, only adding about three rings of spines, but it's blooming right on schedule.  This is one of the few cacti I have that isn't under lights in the basement.  This was an early acquisition in what became my cactus-obsession, and so received a spot on the sunny east windowsill in my dining room.

The petals fairly glow.

Parodia werneri (formerly Notocactus uebelmannianus)

No comments: