Saturday, July 22, 2017

Chain reaction

So I was watering my deck plants this morning, as a break from stitching on the hardanger curtain.

As I was putting the hose back on the hanger, I thought I should probably water the strip of garden between the driveway and house as well.  The plants there are lavender and other drought-tolerant plants, but they do appreciate an occasional drink when it's been this hot and dry.  Watering that area reminded me that the four little varieties of sedum that I bought in May would probably appreciate being planted in the ground instead of being left to dry up in their 4" pots forevermore, so I planted those while I was in the area, after pulling a bunch of weeds.

As I was putting the hose back on the hanger, I noticed that my car was still extremely dusty from last week when I had to drive an hour on Forest Service roads to get to a job site.  I had hoped that it would rain this week and wash the dust off for me, but no dice.  So I pulled the car down the driveway a little and hosed it off.

As I was putting the hose back on the hanger after pulling the car back into the carport, I noticed that the front garden beds were looking a little droopy as well, so I set up the west hose and sprinkler to water the main bed, and used the driveway hose to spot-water the rest.

As I was putting the hose back on the hanger, I noticed that the fuchsias on the front porch were droopy because I meant to water them yesterday but forgot.  So I put the hose over the porch wall and watered the fuchsias. 

As I was putting the hose back on the hanger, I noticed that there was an area where watering the driveway bed had splashed dirt up onto the house siding.  So I used the hose to wash the dirt back down to the bed where it belonged.

As I was putting the hose back on the hanger, I noticed that the area of siding around the hose hanger was looking dingy from a couple years of accumulated wind-blown dust and forest fire smoke.

So I used the hose to rinse off those areas. Then the adjacent areas looked dingy by comparison, so I hosed those off as well.  Then the areas adjacent to that looked dingy so I hosed them off.  Then the next bit of adjacent area.  All the way around the house.

Long story short: a quick ten minute break to water my plants on the deck this morning turned into three hours of yard work and washing my entire house.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I think I did the same thing around that house more than once! I bet everything looks lovely, clean and watered.